
We have had so much fun watching Mary grow and learn to express herself. Everyday she uses a new word or group of words, and I wish I could say they are all completely decipherable, but they're not. Lots of times we find ourselves examining the context of the "conversation", her tone, even the direction she is looking in, trying to figure out what she wants to say. We ask her to repeat herself, which she does, repeatedly, until we're all yelling words left and right, still no closer to figuring out that she just wants some water.
There are words that Wade and I mispronounced when we were little that our parents still bring up from time to time, and it always makes us laugh. I've tried to keep a running list as Mary's vocabulary grows for the same reason. I wanted to share some of it, not only for its entertainment value, but to minimize frustration should you find yourself engaged in conversation with little Mary.
beebee – baby
bee mean – big plane
bypuh – diaper
cake nap – take nap (generally preceded by “no”, which interestingly enough is clear as day)
coo coo ree – choo choo train (one of our favorites)
cugga up me – cover me up
eye wuh woo – I love you
hice – ice
huuuh – here
Marmay – Barney
Meh Way – Mary
mm mm ah ah – monkey
nack – snack
neckneck – chicken
no hice – no ice
nya-nyou – thank you
out me – get me out
popeye - potty
root cup – fruit cup (another favorite)
root nack – fruit snack
Sisty – Sister
tips – chips
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Mary-Speak
Posted by The Latham Family at 10:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment